Monday 19 September 2011

Britain's Membership of the EU

The case for a referendum on membership of the European Union is being raised almost daily now, including a suggestion that the PM is coming under pressure to acceded to demands from within the Conservative Party.  I don't know how much of it is just rhetoric as we head towards the Party Conference, but some articles related to it are here and here.

My view on the EU has always been that I would prefer a renegotiation of our membership, a return to what we signed up for - a union of trading nations rather than the costly political monstrosity we currently suffer.  However, over the last few years it has become obvious that the EU is not an organisation that can deliver this sort of radical retrenchment.  I have come to the conclusion that we need an in or out referendum, where I would vote to leave.

However, whatever the current rhetoric, I cannot see how this can happen whilst we remain in a coalition with the proudly pro-European Liberal Democrats.  My instinct is that the Conservatives will go into the next General Election with the promise of a referendum. I'd like it earlier, but I'd go along with that strategy.

No comments:

Post a Comment